Sunday, September 7, 2008

My Ethics

Since I am studying ethics it is important to show what group I fall into. Understanding my ethics and morals will help me make decisions once I enter the working world, hopefully the right decisions. Everyone has some ethical standards and there are several categories that everyone falls into. Most often a person is in multiple categories. As stated in Controversies in Media Ethics there are three major categories of ethical behavior one fits into. First is the Deontological Theory. This is the duty based ethics. It has to do with following rules and principles. Second is the Teleological Theory. This is very consequence based. A person thinks about the consequences of their actions and decides if that action is ethical based on what the consequences might be. Lastly, is the Personal or Subjective Theory. A person's ethics in this theory are based off of highly personal moral factors like intuition, emotions, or religious ideas. 
As far as my ethics go, I fall into both the Deontological (duty based) and Teleological (consequence based) theories. For the most part I follow the Deontological ethics. As a journalist, or soon to be journalist, I think it is important to deliver the story as it is without opinions or biases. I feel that is my duty as a journalist. If I use a quote in a story it should be exactly what the person said, not something I made up. I feel like it is very important to show both sides of a story, that is just the job of a journalist. As far as the Teleological theory goes I do think about the effect my actions will have on others. I think before I act. If I don't show both sides of a story I may be looked down upon or fired. If I misquote a source, I might loose that source forever. 
This a glimpse into my ethics using the theories from Controversies in Media 
Ethics. I hope you can use this explanation to help you find what theory fits your ethics.
I believe there is a little if each theory in a person, but one that is more dominant.
This website from the university of Davidson has more information and more 
theories that may help you find your the theory behind your ethical behavior.
http://www.bio.davidson.edu/people/kabernd/Indep/carainbow/Theories.htm

No comments: